The in-class presentation by Jesse Miller provided me with a lot of information most average technology users do not know. I was unaware that company, schools, and other public area’s Wi-Fi can keep track of what you are using the Wi-Fi for. When I think about this, it seems to make so much sense and I am surprised that I did not know about this before. I guess people do not want to admit that someone out there can see what they are doing on the internet. 

During the presentation, Jesse Miller asked my class to search on the internet different key words about teachers being fired for actions they made on the internet. I was extremely surprised to see how many teachers were fired for doing things on the internet that would seem to be just common sense not to do. However, Jesse Miller then went on to say something along the lines of “we teach internet safety and not internet common sense.” Which is very true. We can tell people to be safe on the internet and give them examples on how to do this. However, some things that aren’t explained that most people would think is common sense, is not common sense at all to others. I also think that internet users do not always realize how available their posts are to the greater population. Something someone may consider private, may not be. 

When I become a teacher, I will try to include a balanced use of technology in the classroom and make sure to have the appropriate consent from families. Teachers need to find ways to use technology in the classroom that is educational, such as educational games. It is not needed to have a teacher Instagram account or other accounts on social media. This is because it can be hard to remember to make sure everything and everyone that you post about through social media has been given consent – it is very easy to do something wrong. In some cases, the use of social media can have benefits. For example, an teacher or other educator may choose to communicate classroom activities, successes, and school information through a professional Twitter account. Only if the students’ parents or guardians have given permission, and the students whose families haven’t can keep their privacy while still using the tool for communication. It is often better to weigh the risk against doing something wrong with the potential reward, while also being mindful of the content you wish to post.

https://twitter.com/MediatedReality?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor